Monday, January 3, 2011

New year

The reason I have ignored my blog for two weeks is simple: I was too busy shoving all the foods I have avoided for months into my mouth.

To say my eating has been out of control is an understatement. And each day I would wake up, determined to be good, and by noon, those great intentions were gone.

What really frosts me about the last two weeks is that I ignored this blog. I thought about it a lot, but I never went near my computer. And write about how challenging these weeks were is exactly what I should have been doing. God knows I am not perfect. And God also knows that when it comes to food, I have lots of demons to slay.

But today I did something I haven't been able to do in weeks: I found some leftover cake in the freezer and I tossed it. Huge step.

And the reason I threw out the cake: My friend Ann, the one I made my written exercise contract with in August -- and the one I have started a healthy eating contract with -- has been on my back big time the last 24 hours. After yesterday's walk, she knew my heart is just not into dieting. Since then, my email has been flooded with Ann-sent motivational notes. My two favorite:
1. Don't be defeatest. Be defeetest -- start walking.
2. AND, my favorite: Only you can stop you.

Throwing out the cake today was a first step. It almost came into work with me, and that would have been a disaster. But I remembered that I am the only one who can stop me.

Writing is the second step.

I keep saying that winning the battle of my bulges is all about baby steps.

I have two goals this week:
1. Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.
2. Go to Weight Watchers tomorrow night.

The first goal goes into the category of a baby step. The second goal would be a toddler step. (Following the WW program would be a giant leap.)

Here's to a healthy 2011. Next year I do not want my resolution to be about losing weight. Enough already!

No comments:

Post a Comment