Thursday, January 13, 2011

The fruit thing

I went back to the sleep clinic last week, and of course was told that if I lost weight, my sleep apnea would improve. I explained that I had joined Weight Watchers, and instead of approval, the doctor told me that he disagrees with the new plan because eating as much fruit as you want is not a good thing. He added that a sugar is a sugar is a sugar, and that our body processes sugar the same way.

I couldn't disagree more. I'm not getting into the science thing here, but does he know anything about fiber and how that contributes to how your body processes food? My main disagreement is all about food.

I've admitted that I can -- and often do -- eat uncontrollably. One of my favorite things to binge on is a 16-oz. package of Twizzlers. I just did the PointsPlus conversion, and each Twizzler stick is 1 PP. I eat the whole package, which I am assuming probably has around 20 strips. That's 20 PPs, almost the total number of PPs I am allowed per day.

Is there any way I would sit down and eat 20 bananas? Or 20 apples? How about 20 grapefruits? Not a chance. I would be too full. (Plus, I would be spending hours in the bathroom!)

Some days, those 20 Twizzlers are my appetizer. You don't even want to know what I can eat as my main course and dessert!

I am not trying to be funny here, but if any doctors are reading this post, please consider what you say to patients. When the doctor said that to me, I blew it off because I am determined to make this WW plan work this time. If I was on the fence, it would have sent me to Border's, searching for the latest diet book du jour, which would eventually lead to another failure.

I am not saying that WW is for everyone. But if you follow it, it is a healthy plan that can become a way of life. It fits into my new mantra: Eat right. Exercise daily. Repeat.

2 comments:

  1. You're right not to take that doctor's statement as gospel. Diffent bodies metabolize foods, beverages and even medications differently. You and I may have a problem with food, but not with alcohol.

    BTW, Danielle Stein of Town&Country interviewed Gary Taubes, author of Good Calories, Bad Calories and Why We Get Fat. He advocates an Atkins-type diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say do what works for you, at the end of the day it is only you who knows how his body works well. So if you think you are doing something right and it is working then I say go for it!

    ReplyDelete