Tuesday, November 23, 2010

What me worry?

My mom was a worrier, something she would never, ever admit. If I worried about anything as a child, she would always tell me: Worrying is like a rocking chair -- it gives you something to do but gets you no place.

This little tidbit annoyed me to death, and it's something I NEVER told my kids. That's not to say I didn't pass the worrying trait on to them. Unfortunately, it's in our blood.

The last few months I have made a real effort to stop worrying -- at least about the things I cannot control. Sure, worrying gives me something to focus on, but what good does that do anyone, especially me?

For years, I worried about what people thought of my fat tummy and quarterback shoulders. Now, I simply don't care what people think. If they think poorly of me, there is nothing I can do to change their opinion. But this is just one example. There are hundreds of examples I could list, things I used to worry about and now I just let them go. I do acknowledge my worry-item du jour, and then I mentally place the concern in the belly of a bird and let the bird fly away. I let it go, and with that flight, comes a freedom I have never before experienced.

WOW!

And as this becomes more a part of what I do, I find myself happier with me, my life, and I am making better food choices each day. It really does feel good to be happy. It's time to let go of my worry wrinkles and bring on the laugh lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment