Monday, November 15, 2010

Support when you need it

I have to be one of the luckiest women in the world. You would think that after years of being on every diet imaginable, cooking specific foods to eat at specific times, my family would be rolling their eyes whenever I say the word diet. But they don't.

At least, I am not seeing the eye rolling.

Last week, we visited our daughter, son-in-law and two adorable granddaughters in the South, and my wonderful daughter, Caitlin, called me before our visit to ask me what I am now eating. When I told her anything, I'm not sure she believed me, and she asked again, so I finally told her to pick up some eggs and broccoli for breakfast, and I would eat the same as the rest of the family for lunch and dinner.

But this little exercise made me think of the thousands of people who get no support from their families. In many cases, families take great pleasure in sabotaging diets, and that must be the most frustrating experience for the person trying to stay on a healthy eating plan.

All this brings me to today's message: If your family is not supportive, find a diet buddy who you can turn to when you need help. Families come in all shapes and sizes, and often, our non-blood relatives work better than our families.

No comments:

Post a Comment