Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Goal setting

Today, I offer the first three of 10 steps that according to SparksPeople, will start anyone on a wellness plan. Instead of reposting all 10 steps at once, I am breaking them down because I truly think little steps are the best. Our minds can absorb just so much at one time.
We all know what to do – but sometimes gentle reminders and nudges go a long way in helping self-improvement. So here are the first three.

1. Write out your goals and desires. What’s your wellness vision? Where do you envision yourself three to five years from now? Set three-month and weekly goals based on your wellness vision. Goals should be SMART: Specific, Measurable, Action-based, Realistic and Time-oriented.


My wellness vision: To wake up each day knowing the day before I exercised and made terrific food decisions.
Five years from now: A closet full of one-size clothes.
Three-month goal: To lose 10 pounds, do yoga daily, and cardio at least three times a week.
Weekly goal: Drink 8 glasses of water each day.

2. Ask what, when and how. Make a list of the hurdles that keep getting in your way of living a life of wellness. Then determine which ones are true obstacles – things that you need to work around or find solutions to. And the excuses – ‘nuf said! 


My hurdles: Eating tons of meals this week on the road. It’s an obstacle, but if I pay attention to my body, really look for cues that say I am hungry, hopefully I will make good food choices.

3. Have a plan. Rarely, if ever, is any major task or project accomplished without a plan in place. Lay out a plan for accomplishing your goals, as well as solutions for overcoming the hurdles. This is your game plan – it should be flexible, but have fortitude, fun, but not “fluff.” And make it active. Include specific steps you will take to reach your goals. 


Steps:
• Do a morning meditation to set the tone for the day.
• Do at the very least 20 minutes of kundalini.
• Walk with Ann as much as possible.
• When I want to eat something I really shouldn’t, to remember: Stop. Drop. Stroll. Stop and think. Drop the food. Walk away.

No comments:

Post a Comment