Tuesday, November 2, 2010

2 accomplishments and it's only 6:30 am

First accomplishment: I voted.

And as soon as I exited the polling place, the cutest little girl was asking me if I would like to buy something at the bake sale. Without thinking I told her no, but I would give a donation. Success.

No sooner had I put my contribution in the jar that hubby, Jack, walks out of the polling room and says in his booming voice, "Got any chocolate chippers?" Of course they did. And now, so do we.

But that's OK. A few days ago I probably would have eaten one. Today I stared them down. It's my new game, and right now it's working. I looked at those homemade gobs of chewy goodness and screamed at them (it was a mental scream) "I am better than you. I deserve more."

Then I walked away, whipped up my new favorite breakfast -- coconut milk, a tablespoon of flax seeds, a scoop of whey powder and a cup of strawberries -- drank it with gusto, and am sitting here writing this with a big smile on my face.

Baby steps.

3 comments:

  1. Coconut milk? I've never heard of it. Do you buy it or make it? Proud of you and your accomplishments! You go! Oh, and I'm on my way to vote in just about 8 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ann,
    I am lactose intolerant -- surprise! -- so I don't drink milk. Stop & Shop have coconut milk -- and nut milks such as almond and hazlenut -- that I substitute for milk. They really are quite yummy. I don't use soy because I try to limit my soy consumption and I would rather eat edaname than drink it. I also buy the unsweetened milks just to save the calories. But the sweetened flavored milks are beyond awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silly me! Of COURSE I know what coconut milk is! I'm thinking it comes in half gallon containers right along-side the nut milks and regular milks - and maybe it does these days. The one I've always used for curries, etc. comes canned. When we make Carribbean rice and beans we always made our own coconut milk - how could I have not connected the two?? Obviously I'm getting very very old...
    (And I'm with you limiting on soy consumption.)

    ReplyDelete