Thursday, November 11, 2010

And now for steps four through nine, which according to SparksPeople, will start anyone on a wellness plan.

7. Learn from your setbacks
. Making mistakes and experiencing failure is all a part of being human and living. Rather than getting down on yourself, take that setback and turn it into something positive – something you can use to reach your goals. Sometimes life is indeed two steps forward, one step back! 


I love this advice because it’s all about not beating yourself up. And I really need to stop doing this. My friend Mary Ellen told me last weekend that I am too hard on myself. I’ll try to remember this.


8. Spend some time “cleaning house.” This is intended to be both literal and figurative. When our homes are a cluttered mess, it’s impossible to function well. Ditto for our schedules. Create a list of your activities and decide which ones aren’t contributing to your overall purpose in life. “De-fluff” that schedule and concentrate on those activities that bring meaning to your life, and ultimately to others!



I actually started this last weekend. We finished redecorating a bedroom, my meditation room is complete, and I filed every single lose paper yesterday. When I got rid of that last piece of paper, I looked around the house, took a deep breath, and just smiled. It was such a relief.

9. Stop comparing yourself to others. We’re bombarded by images of “perfect” bodies every day. It’s easy to get caught up in all of it and feel as though we’ll never measure up – and chances are, we won’t. Let’s get real! These images are results of computer imagery, great lighting, professional make-up artists, self-starvation, plastic surgery and really good genes. Stop comparing yourself to a fantasy and just be the best you that you can be. 



Again, I’ll remember Mary Ellen’s advice. I have a lot to celebrate, and I really need to pat myself on the back every now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment