Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Two salads

I have been eating my weight in salads these past few months. And since I will never confess how much I weigh, let’s just say it’s a lot of salad. But even when everyone else's thoughts are turning to soups and stews, salad for lunch is my year-round choice, although I am always changing what goes into my salads. Here are two of my favorites.

The Bean and Corn Salad makes a wonderful side dish, and if you ever need a fill-in for a buffet, double or triple it to feed a crowd. I also love adding some to a bowl of greens. It really makes them sing.
CHOPPED SALAD
Romaine lettuce, rinsed, dried and torn into bite-sized pieces
Baby spinach leaves, rinsed and drained
1 14-oz. can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
1 cup sliced red onion
1 4-oz. jar diced pimento peppers, drained
Vinaigrette: 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
Grated Parmesan cheese for sprinkling over salad

I put the lettuce and spinach into a bowl.
Then I mix the artichokes, onion and pimento and place in a container. For me, this is enough topping for five days worth of salads.
I mix the vinaigrette and keep it in the refrigerator. I add about two tablespoons vinaigrette to my daily salad, and sprinkle it with Parmesan.
BLACK BEAN AND CORN SALAD
1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 15-oz. can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
3 cups frozen corn kernels, rinsed and drained
3 scallions, diced, include some of the green parts
Half a red onion, finely diced
1 green pepper, seeded and diced
¼ cup cilantro leaves, chopped
Dressing:
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tblsp. fresh lime juice
1 canned chipotle pepper, diced (if you like your dressing milder, use half the chipotle)
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix together all the salad ingredients.
Mix together all the dressing ingredients. If you have a min-processor, use it to mix dressing ingredients together. Add dressing to salad and toss to combine.

No comments:

Post a Comment