Thursday, August 26, 2010

Water -- yet again

I am always amazed by the amount of money spent doing studies -- and many of these studies are done over and over and over again. The latest to catch my eye was reported Tuesday on the CBS Early Show by Dr. Jennifer Ashton, which found that those older than 55 who drank two 8-ounce glasses of water before each meal lost 30 percent more weight than the group who did not drink the water.

Duh! Love Harry Smith, who commented that he thinks he's heard this before. Not missing a beat, Dr. Ashton agreed, but added: "everything that is old is new again." Come on! Was it that slow a news day? If it's not new, why report it? Guess the promo before the spot and on the web site -- newest tool to lose weight -- kept some viewers glued to the tube and dieters logging on the web site. I obviously fell for it myself.

I do drink this much water before every meal. Most days, I drink more than that. And I don't drink during meals -- except for wine -- because I read once that drinking water when you eat slows digestion -- or something like that. I kind of forget the reason.

But when I watch a segment like this one by Dr. Ashton, I can't help but get a bit angry. People are unemployed in this country, have no insurance, are losing their houses, and someone funded this story. And then I think what a silly nation we've become. Is this news? Certainly not. But do we crave these sort of stories? Absolutely.

And why? Because we eat and drink too much. This is not rocket science.

And now I am angry at myself for talking about this topic. But I must admit it feels good to expel it from my mind. Now I can move on....

No comments:

Post a Comment