Monday, August 30, 2010

Heart heath

Journaling is one of those things we can do that will definitely help us reach out goals. What do I get every week at Weight Watchers? A journal, to write down every morsel that passes my lips.

Now there's a new way to track, but this time it's all about heart health. The American Heart Association's Better U -- www.goredforwomen.org/BetterU/index.aspx -- is a 12-week online program geared to making women change their bodies from the inside out. Each week the focus is on heart health, and making small changes that will get you healthier -- and maybe even drop a few pounds.

Of course I joined. But what I love about this journal is that not only do you pick your goal for the week, you identify the barriers you see that could keep you from reaching your goal AND come up with a plan for conquering the barriers.

I knew that Saturday night was going to be a hard night for me. Homemade pizza and lots of wine was on the menu at a friend's house. Writing down a plan to meeting the challenge meant I was in control. I brought a bottle of seltzer with me, finished it before I had my first glass of wine, and paid more attention to the conversation than the food. And guess what: I didn't overeat, not did I drink too much wine.

Ultimately, through Better U, all women will learn their personal risk of heart disease and stroke, while hopefully incorporating small changes to help them live stronger and longer. Better U asks you to set aside 30 to 60 minutes a week -- mere minutes each day -- to log on to the Web site and concentrate on heart health. I don't know about you, but I think my health is worth a whole lot more than 10 minutes a day.

Spread the word. It just might help someone you love live a longer, healthier life. And that someone could be you.

No comments:

Post a Comment