Friday, August 27, 2010

I'm going half full!

The older I get, the less patience I have with toxic people. And no, I am not Pollyanna; I complain like everyone else. But I am making an effort to complain less, or at least when I start to complain, try to stop myself.

Toxic people zap my energy with their need. We all know the type: It's always about them, and if you try to interject a thought, it is quickly dismissed and the topic returns back to their issues and problems. I am not talking about people in need -- those who are sick or ailing. I'm talking about the ego-centrics among us.

This past year, the one thing I have learned about eating healthy and exercising is that I have to look out for No. 1. If I fail, and start to put myself second (which toxic people love you to do), I find myself making poor food choices.

I do some freelancing, and last week's assignment was to have an at-home meal with a chef. I chose Sarah and Bernard Bouissou, both chefs, and owners of two restaurants in Ridgefield, CT, Bernard's and Sarah's Wine Bar. Their night off is really a busman's holiday, a chance for them to reconnect with themselves, their four daughters, extended family, and friends. As I sat at the large outdoor table that night, feasting on glorious food while taking in the sounds of animated French and English conversation, one thing kept popping into my head: These people really know how to live life. There was no tension, no arugments, no one-upsmanship. People talked. People listened. It was obvious that they cared about each other.

I have friends and family just like this. And I know, that if I truly want to reach my goal weight, these are the people I want around me. Instead of a glass half-empty life, mine is going to be half-full. Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment