Monday, August 9, 2010

Happy Monday!

Today really is a happy day because I stayed on my diet and exercised each day.

Most Mondays, besides the usual sorrow at the weekend gone and the start of the work week (READ: Getting up at 5 a.m.), I am miserable because I blew my diet, eating things I shouldn't because, well, it was the weekend.

But this weekend was different for two reasons: commitment and determination. I have finally made up my mind that my main priority is losing weight and feeling great, and with that as my focus, everything else just fell into place. We even had dinner with friends Saturday night, and I ate Madeline's mom's famous cinnamon biscotti because I had planned to use all 35 extra Weight Watchers POINTS Saturday night. I worked those biscotti into my POINTS, really enjoyed each bite, and felt not one shred of guilt. And when Madeline offered to send some home with us, I declined.

This weekend, instead of silently telling myself that I wanted to lose weight while drinking a few glasses of wine and eating way too much fattening, fatty foods, I dusted off my copy of Andrew Weil's "8 Weeks to Optimal Health" and dug right in. I read the introduction and the first week, and Sunday morning, after my walk with my friend, Ann, I headed to Whole Foods to read labels. I came away $250 poorer, but my pantry is now stocked with healthy foods guaranteed to help me on my journey.

I followed Weil's suggestions, buying this week's diet additions: Vitamin C, wild salmon and some organic broccoli. Weil is all about holistic healing, so I have also been doing the daily five-minute deep breathing exercise. He also wants you to walk 10 minutes a day, which I have covered.

And the best part: He suggests bringing some fresh flowers into your home. I used to buy flowers every week, but got out of the habit a few years ago. A bunch of lovely brightly colored summer flowers is now sitting on my kitchen counter, and Dr. Weil is correct: Looking at them makes me feel happy and at peace. They also keep me focused in the one room in the house I need all the help I can get.

I pray this feeling continues. I know I have said and written that line before, but this time, it feels different.

No comments:

Post a Comment