Friday, April 9, 2010

4 pounds!

Last week, when I stepped on the scale at Weight Watchers, I almost shed tears of joy because I lost 6.8 pounds.

Last night: I gained 4 pounds. I was back at my Thursday-night group, and our leader, Karen -- with whom I have been sharing this weight loss journey for far too many years -- looked up and asked me if I was mad at her?

At Karen? Never. She is the reason I have been a member of WW for more months than I would like to admit. Karen keeps me motivated. And besides, the new me could care less. OK, that's a stretch, but I really am not upset.

For the last two weeks, we have been weighing in first thing Saturday mornings because we couldn't make the Thursday night session. I always gain weight during the day. We all do. So that accounts for 2 of those pounds.

The other two pounds: Easter, and Mr. Scordo's ricotta pie. I didn't eat as much of it as I normally would have, but I ate enough. How could I not? It really is an amazing special treat made by one of the sweetest men I've ever known. And Mrs. Scordo cookies, ones their daughter, my buddy Susan, has been sharing with us since our kids were in elementary school. They are a tradition. And of course, there were those M&Ms that were plopped in front of me. Impossible to eat just one. Oh -- and the dueling fruit tarts, and Trader Joe's bonbons. It was a lovely Easter.

It was also my birthday this week, and although this year's "cake" was a selection of berries with Cool Whip, it was still my birthday. We also ate out twice, and although I was "good," it's not the same as eating at home.

Enough excuses. I gained 4 pounds, BUT, and it's a big one, I am OK with this. I almost took a pass at the scale last night, but I decided that was the coward's way out, and I needed to see exactly what happens to my body when I am not being WW perfect. I also wanted to see what it would do for my new-found calmness about my weight loss journey.

I'm terrific. I'm feeling great. And unlike past experiences when this would begin an eating rampage, I ate a great dinner last night, decided not to add a glass of wine to my meal, and fell asleep with a smile on my face.

I have one goal this week: To maintain this attitude. I really am liking myself so much better.

1 comment: