Friday, September 3, 2010

Love long weekends!

I addeed some extra days to this weekend, so instead of three days off, I have six. That's almost a week, and I am going to savor every minute of it.

I'm also going to cook!

Two weeks ago, I was talking to Donna, my Weight Watchers bud, about grilled mango. It sounded so tempting, I stopped at the grocery store on my way home from our meeting and bought two mangoes. And so it began: My new love affair with grilled fruit. The mango was delicious, but I reasoned it the grilling brought out the mango's natural sweetness, what would grilling do to pineapple, peaches, plums, nectarines -- and on and on. Each fruit is glorious as is. But grill it, and each becomes extraordinary. So grilled fruit it is!

I'm also going to make one of my favorite salad -- a crunchy mix of jicama and radishes -- something I once always had ready in the fridge. It is so healthy, and weighs in at practically no Weight Watchers POINTS, which makes it almost as extraordinary as grilled fruit.

RADISH AND JICAMA SALAD
1 lb. radishes, thinly sliced
1 lb. jicama, julienned
1 bunch scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
1 Tblsp. sesame oil
1 Tblsp. extra-virgin olive oil
3 tsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
3 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 Tblsp. tamari or soy sauce
Salt to taste
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped

* Combine radishes, jicama, and scallions in a large serving bowl.
* Whisk oils, lime and lemon juices, tamari and salt together in a small bowl.
* Pour dressing over vegetables and toss. Add cilantro and toss again. Serve at room temperature.

This whole salad has 6 Weight Wathchers POINTS, so you can eat more than one bite!

No comments:

Post a Comment