Friday, August 23, 2013

Allergic to what?


Lentils. Beans. Eggs.

We've been told for years to include all these in our diets, which I did. An egg for breakfast. Beans on my salad with the goal to eat vegetarian all day -- saving the meat, poultry and fish for dinner. Lentil soup before dinner, to fill me up before the main event.

That was my diet for months. Unfortunately, I am intolerant to all three -- PLUS ! Throw all dairy and gluten into my new list of no-nos. I also lack any kind of B or D vitamins, although I have supplemented these two for decades.

My allergy to all these foods is not the kind that has me grabbing an Epi pen and being rushed to the hospital. Mine is a food intolerance, which has caused me, in no particular order, to have:
  • Inflammation throughout my body, including excruciating carpal tunnel
  • Insomnia
  • An 18-wheeler-sized tire around my waist
  • Exhaustion
  • Red eyes
  • Dull skin
  • High blood pressure.
For a week, the bad foods have been banished from my diet and I feel fantastic.
  • More energy than I have had in years;
  • Nights of restful seven-hour sleep with no getting up three or four times to pee; 
  • And the wheel around my waist, although still there, is more the size of a luxury car now. But hey, it's only been a week.

I always knew the role good food plays in a body. I never suspected that the foods I eat could play such a role in all that was ailing me -- and that it could happen so quickly.

And I owe it all to Dr. Tamara Sachs, a functional medicine MD who doesn't treat symptoms. Instead, she's a doctor/detective, searching for the underlying issues of what is going on in your body.

I am forever thankful I found that woman!



No comments:

Post a Comment