Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The circle


A few days ago I read over some past blog posts. I have been in a circle of losing, gaining, losing, gaining since this blog started four years ago. (Actually for decades, but I haven't been documenting my failures.)

Yo-yoing at its best. The above graphic was my life. But not just mine. I think it's our national pastime. Consider these stats from CBS news:
  • $20 billion is spent each year on diet books, diet drugs and weight-loss surgeries.
  • 108 million Americans make four or five attempts each year to lose weight.
  • 85 percent of people buying weight-loss products and services are female.
  • 220,000 morbidly obese people have had bariatric surgery.
I could go on, but I think I made my point. The more we spend on diet fixes the fatter we get. I have. Many times over, which is why I cannot diet anymore.

I also must admit that the thought of losing weight quickly is still attractive. It's like a drug. But now, each time I am tempted, I look at the list I made of all the diets I have tried. It is long and sad. And it has cost me a small fortune, money I would much rather now spend on a trip somewhere interesting and exciting.

I have officially been eating as a normal person for six months now. It really feels good. I feel in control. I have tons more energy. No more indigestion. I never feel uncomfortably stuffed. I am sleeping better. Last year, if I slept five hours I considered that a milestone. Now, I sleep 7, 8, sometimes 9 hours each night. And I wake up ready to start the day.

I can honestly say I am brand new. Lighter, with still lots of weight to lose. But it will come off in time. By this time next year, I know I will be exactly at the weight I want to be. What a goal!


No comments:

Post a Comment