Wednesday, July 17, 2013

An important question

That's not me, but it's a perfect illustration of what goes on in my mind every time I think about food.

The allure of a diet is sometimes too great to resist. Thankfully I am determined not to give in, because I have learned that my previous all-or-nothing mentality did nothing but make me yo-yo through three decades.

I am devising my own way of eating and learning some important new tricks. For example, before I put a bite of food in my mouth I ask myself this simple question: AM I REALLY HUNGRY?

The amazing thing is that many times I scream "NO!" and that alone is enough to stop a trip to the fridge for a snack.

I also ask myself that question while I eat my meals. And when I get to the point that I begin to waver, I begin to chew my food even slower than I had been. What I am finding is that I am eating smaller meals, all more satisfying because I am really tasting the food. 

I made ONE New Year's resolutions this year: to think mindfully when I eat. Mindful eating is multifaceted, but the aspect I needed to concentrate on was to slow my eating down, to chew each bite of food, and to swallow when the food is liquefied. Not an easy task for someone who is always the first to finish my meals.

But one I am beginning to master, one meal at a time.

1 comment:

  1. The one and only way I was able to lose weight was to think about every bite that went into my mouth and to eat slowly. It really works.

    ReplyDelete