Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Aha!

...sort of. I just finished reading two books: Geneen Roth's "Women Food and Good" -- a book all about not dieting. Concurrently, I was also reading everything I could about the Paleo Diet, which is exactly what Roth is so not about.

But first, I want to talk about Roth's book, which I recommend highly. Her premise sounds too good to be true: when you finally stop dieting, in addition to living her Eating Guidelines, you will eventually free yourself from obsessive eating, lose weight, and of course, feel so much better about yourself. Her Eating Guidelines are seven little rules that just make sense. That's not to say they are easy to do, because I break each of these rules daily. But I am trying.

Each day, I plan to work on one rule. Since there are seven, that means a rule a day. I will continue to work on these rules until each becomes part of my DNA.

The Eating Guidelines:
1. Eat when you are hungry.
2. Eat sitting down in a calm environment. This does not include the car.
3. Eat without distractions. Distractions include radio, television, newspapers, books, intense or anxiety-producing conversations or music.
4. Eat what your body wants.
5. Eat until you are satisfied.
6. Eat (with the intention of being) in full view of others.
7. Eat with enjoyment, gusto and pleasure.

See -- that's not so hard. HA!

I break Rule 4 daily, because I started the Paleo Diet Monday, which is exactly what Roth is telling everyone not to do. But here's how I rationalize that decision: The Paleo Diet removes all wheat (which I am allergic to), dairy (I am lactose intolerant), and beans and legumes (definitely a problem when I am doing yoga). So actually, this diet seems to be more of a prescription for health rather than a restrictive eating plan.

And it's this line of thinking that has made me what I am today: overweight. But thank goodness I am smart enough to realize that "Women Food and God" must become compulsory reading -- daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment