Monday, July 12, 2010

Alone time

Last week was a whirlwind, partially because of the July 4th holiday, but mostly because my computer died. And when that happened, all was not well with the world.

I wish it didn't set my world on such a tilt, but it did, and I decided I needed to do something nice for myself, so I signed up for some yoga classes at Yoga 4 Everybody in Fairfield. My first class was a gentle yoga class last Wednesday night at 7:30 p.m., a time I find it difficult not to overeat. Not sure why, but after dinner is when all my best intentions go out the window.

I swear that gentle yoga class was life changing. My dead computer became just that -- a dead computer that is annoying, but something I can work around. I breathed deeply and stretched like I haven't stretched in years, and before I knew it, 75 minutes had passed and I was on my way home, looking forward to the next class I had signed up for -- restorative yoga on Friday afternoon, another bad time for me. Friday at 5 I am usually rewarding myself with my first glass of weekend wine. Again, another 75 minutes passed, and again, I was at peace with the world. Saturday morning at 7 I was at the beach, taking a class in Qi Gong and Tai Chi, and ever since, at least five times a day, I have been practicing the one pose our teacher asked us to perfect.

So I was amused when today's "meditation for weight loss" that I subscribe to, suggested I need to spend some time alone each day to develop an internal friendship with myself -- an important component of any weight loss journey.

It is something I really have not thought about before. But since Wednesday -- OK it's only been four days -- I am making better food choices because I want to, not because I feel I have to. And I am calmer, more centered, and really liking myself a whole lot better.

All this proves that an old dog really can learn new tricks. You just have to find the tricks that work. And of course, stick with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment