Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Souper soups

I started this blog because this time I wanted my journey to lose weight to be different. I am not going on a diet. I have started over, incorporating healthy foods and exercise into my life. But I did pick up a book, "The Skinny," written by David Letterman's doctor, Dr. Louis Aronne, and have been following some of his suggestions on how to eat dinner. You do it in stages: First, you eat a salad, followed by a low-calorie soup if you are really hungry. The entree is comprised of greens, protein and starch, and that's the order you eat your meal.

Soup: In our family, it is often the meal, especially on cold nights. But I do find that if I am starved, his multi-course approach to eating helps tremendously. Add to that a study by Penn State, that discovered soup is an appetite suppressant because it is made up of a satisfying combination of liquids and solids.

Trader Joe's and Pacific Rim soups in cartons, and Progressive Light Soups in cans are always in my pantry, ready to pop into the microwave when hunger pains start calling my name. Just the act of heating the soup and then slowly eating it with a small spoon clams me down and makes me eat less. Or, if you have a few extra minutes, try this wonderful seasonal recipe that I've been making for years.

Bean, Chorizo and Pumpkin Soup

2 15 1/2-oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained

1 28-oz. can whole tomatoes, drained

1/4 lb. chorizo, removed from casings

2 white onions, chopped

2 garlic cloves, diced

1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano
3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 16-oz. can pumpkin puree
1 Tblsp. apple cider vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
Place 1 can of black beans and the tomatoes in food processor; puree until smooth.
• Add chorizo to soup pot and brown well. Set chorizo aside. Leave a tiny bit of oil in pot; remove most with paper towel. Add onion and garlic and saute until soft. Add cumin and oregano.
• Add pureed mixture and remainder of beans, stock, pumpkin, vinegar and salt and pepper. Mix until well blended; simmer for about 20-25 minutes. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment