Thursday, March 13, 2014

Breaking the daily fast

I have a love/hate relationship with breakfast. I am not a fan of  eggs, so scratch that breakfast. Cold cereals leave me, well, cold. I've tried the Paleo way -- protein, and lots of it for breakfast -- but although it filled me up, it wasn't for me.

And my wheat allergy cuts out a whole category of breakfast dishes that are appealing: pancakes, waffles, English muffins, and on and on.

I've been reading a lot about dieting recently, and over and over again I find research that says successful dieters always eat breakfast. There is also research that suggests having the same breakfast day after day -- although it may sound boring -- is actually helpful because you don't have to think about what to eat during the early-morning rush.

So, for the last four days, I have made a breakfast that takes 4 minutes from start to finish, it's very filling, and I also like it. It's probably not for everyone, but it works for me. Plus, I'm getting lots of  protein, key to keeping me sated through the  morning.

MORNING CEREAL
1 serving, 6 WW Points

1/4 cup cream of rice
1 cup water
2 tsp. honey
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ginger
1 banana, sliced
1/2 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
6 blackberries, halved
  • Mix cream of wheat, water and spices in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1  minute. Stir. Microwave another minute on high. Stir. Microwave on high 30 seconds. Stir.
  • Add banana and yogurt, mix well, and stir. Top with blackberries and sprinkle on some more cinnamon to make it not so white!
  • If you want it warm, return to microwave for 1 minute. If not, eat as is.

REPEAT DAILY! Or until I really can't stand it anymore....

No comments:

Post a Comment