Monday, April 4, 2011

A to Zen

I have a poster in my meditation called A to Zen -- Living One Day at a Time according to the Dalia Lama. I have read the 26 ways often, but what I haven't done is taken them one at a time.

Today, my morning e-meditation was about avoiding toxic people, the negative ones that zap your inner resolve, sucking the life, determination and self-love out of you faster than Superman's speeding bullet. And today, before I began morning yoga, I glanced at the poster, and the first step to Living One Day as a Time was: Avoid negative sources, people, places and habits.

Coincidence? I think not. Someone greater than me is sending a message. And believe me, it's a message I need right now.

I try very hard to remain positive and happy, because life really is worth living, and I would much rather do it with a smile on my face than a frown. But in some situations it is impossible to avoid negative people and situations. Today's messages cemented in my brain that since avoidance is impossible, I need to learn coping skills when faced with negativity.

Something else to work on, but it's a journey I need to take. Because when faced with difficult situations, one of the first things I turn to is FOOD. And I'm not talking fruits and vegetables here.

And that brings me to the Dalia Lama's thought: Avoid negative sources, people, places and habits. Seven powerful words. It's not only about people and places; he wants us to change our habits. And isn't that what losing weight is all about?

When confronted by negativity, the first thing I want is some comfort food loaded with calories. Today, when confronted with negativity, I intend to reach for some strawberries and cantaloupe while picturing my meditation room, a source of contentment and peace. At least I have a plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment