Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Walk the walk

For years I swore cardio exercise would eventually kill me, because each time I started something new I would get injured, which set up a cycle: Exercise. Begin losing weight. Exercise more. Get injured. Stop exercising. Gain back the weight I lost.

And truth be told, I hate cardio exercising.

But that didn't stop me from joining a gym 18 months ago. Daily, I would meet my friend Ann at the gym. We would happily do our cardio as we solved the world's problems. I loved those early-morning sessions, but it didn't take long for me to become weary of the gym. Things like them dropping MSNBC from the TV list annoyed me more than it should. The one soap pump in the bathroom that didn't work was annoying. And the constant please to sign up for a trainer were more than upsetting. Plus, the 25 minutes I wasted each day going back and forth.

I vowed to start exercising at home and see if I could sustain it. I got out all my Leslie Sansone walking DVDs, and each day would do a different walk. I was still going to the gym a few days a week, but soon realized I enjoyed walking with Leslie so much more than the gym.

Throughout the day, I would pop in one of her quick 12-minute miles, a great break from the computer and a perfect way to rev up my energy. Hitting 10,000 steps a day became a snap. Most days I am over by at least 3,000 steps.

I love cardio  exercise -- something I have NEVER said before.

This is not a quick fix. It is a lifelong commitment to talking care of my body. But not only do I have more energy, last weekend I was able to keep up with my 19-month-old granddaughter, never once getting out of breath or wishing she would take a nap.

I'm finally walking the walk!

No comments:

Post a Comment