Wednesday, August 27, 2014

A start and an end to the day


Two recipes to share today, one my ode to fall, because it really is around the corner, the second, a great way to dress up grilled fish.

The first recipe came about after I read that Starbuck's Pumpkin Spiced Latte is back, which is sheer perfection for your taste buds, and anything but perfection for your body. And it is so not Paleo. My version is not the same, but honestly it is pretty terrific and definitely reminds me of the cooler weather that is just around the corner. And check out my mug: from my favorite non-profit, The Center for Family Justice that fights domestic and sexual assault in six Fairfield County towns in my neck of the woods.

Good Morning Punkin'

1 cup organic black coffee
1 Tblsp. canned organic pumpkin
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 Tblsp. organic coconut oil
  • Mix everything in a blender, whirl for a few seconds until frothy, and pour into your favorite mug. Makes 1 cup.
Our friend Tom Giordano has the best hobby in the world: fishing. And he knows how much we love the blue fish he catches in Long Island Sound, and thankfully is willing to share. The following is an adaptation from what I call my fish bible, James Peterson's "Fish & Shellfish." It's an adaptation because I omitted the tablespoon of brown sugar in the sauce. If you're not Paleo, add it. If you are, believe me when I say you won't miss the added sweetness.

Indonesian-Style Grilled Blue Fish

Two bluefish filets, cleaned and trimmed
4 shallots, peeled
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1 Thai chilies or 4 jalapeno chilies, seeded (I used one jalapeno but included the seeds, where most of the heat lives)
Two 5-inch piece of lemongrass, finely sliced
Juice of 2 limes
1 14-oz. can full-fat unsweetened organic coconut milk
2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. ground coriander
Salt
  • Place the shallots, garlic, chilies. lemongrass and lime juice in the container of a blender and process until everything is finely diced.
  • In a saucepan, add the paste and the remaining ingredients, except for the fish. Bring to a boil and gently stir every few minutes to keep the mixture from sticking to the pan. Keep boiling until it thickens to a paste. Season with salt to your liking. Peterson says the mixture should be very salty, but personally, too much salt is off-putting to me.
  • Smear both sides of the fish with the paste.
  • Grill the fish for five minutes on one side over medium heat. Flip, add some of the past to the cooked side, and cook another five minutes.
Makes 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment